Monday, September 22, 2014

I love Paris

Today may be the last great weather day so we will try to do as many outdoor activities as we can.
We metro to the Champs Eleysses.  I have heard about this Champs, but I really have no idea what to expect.   It has been a mythical place up until now.   I've heard the term "strolling" used many times when speaking of the Champs so I think I have envisioned a beautifully tree lined, somewhat serene atmosphere. Color me wrong!  I'm not going to say I was disappointed, but I felt like I was transported to the upper east side only with about 50k more people.  Many American stores dot the real estate along the avenue. Fast food restaurants nestled next to ultra chic hotels.
Approaching the Arc


 However, unlike the upper east side, The Arc de Triomohe towers above and will be our destination for this morning.
Terry, Kathy And Dan at the Arc




crazy traffic









cool view

Ladies of Paris




Taking a break from the stair climb


The Dark spiral staircase


Karen loves heights! (Not) What a trooper



There is no line at the base of the Arc. Up the spiral staircase we go. 284 steps later we emerge from the dark passage out onto the beautiful sunny observation deck.


Basilique de Sacrecoeur
  From this vantage point  it is easy to see the activity down on the streets. We are directly above one of the busy roundabouts and it is quite entertaining to watch the traffic below. Three out of four of us are glad we are not driving in Paris!  We make the circuit and enjoy the views. After making our way down we jump on the metro to Montmartre.  Basilique du Sacrecoeur, the beautiful majestic cathedral sits above the city beckoning  visitors from around the world. We join the throngs and enter the beautiful enclave. Every church and cathedral we have visited has a little something different to offer be it the stained glass, the alter, the steeple. All are beautiful in their own right and I am generally awe struck by each one. A street mime entertains the crowd and gets applause from the tourists.  This is a huge art community and if you like you can have your picture drawn from one of the many artists that work the streets. I am so enthralled by the raw talent that I'm witnessing.
Karen and Dan inspecting the art
I however don't need my picture drawn so we move along.  Many many shops are found on the narrow streets that circle the artists plying their wares.  Time to move on. We are challenged (by me) to find the metro station.  You know how sometimes you make the wrong turn and you are not in the right hood anymore?  Well that's exactly what happened. All of a sudden we are in Harlem.  We don't feel threatened or scared but when we finally reach the metro station a big mob is attempting to jump the turnstiles. The security and police are now a huge presence. We flash our tickets to the security agent and walk rapidly to the platform. Beam me up Scotty. We land back home safe and sound. One small detour leads us to the grand dame........
Notre Dame. Words cannot describe so I won't even try. Pictures are not allowed in the Cathedral so we don't have any to post. I'm not a religious woman but I felt compelled to light a candle for all my loved ones who have gone before me.  A peaceful moment for sure.  Another exhausting day. Time to retreat and put our feet up and reflect on another glorious day. I am so grateful.

1 comment: