Saturday, September 6, 2014

We have arrived

Surprisingly, our flight went perfect.  Everything was on time from take off to connection to landing. It turned out that all the movies on board were complimentary so needless to say, I didn't read my book, didn't do the crossword puzzles, didn't practice my German phrases nor did I get any sleep but I did watch 3 movies. About 2 more than I normally watch in a month!  Terry however got some shut eye, fortunately for him, he can pretty much sleep anywhere.  In addition, the snacks were an unnecessary item because they fed us 3 entire meals.  Beverages were also included but we  were very responsible travelers having only 2 glasses of wine accompanied by lots of H2O.

A beautiful sunrise peaked through the window signaling a new day and confirming that our European adventure was soon to begin in earnest.

We landed without any issues, deplaned and made it through customs in record time.  My only concern at this time was the lack of any euros in our possession.   I rarely use my ATM card, as a matter of  fact I think the last time I used it was on my BFGA,  and I was a little concerned of whether or not it would actually work. Of course I called our bank prior to departing, but I still had a little angst. I needed money right away as we had a driver, yes the guy that has a placard with
KATHERINE PETERSEN, printed on it (I love that even tho it was misspelled) .  I quickly found an ATM and was able to withdraw funds without any problem. WHEW.  Our driver was delightful and delivered us to the hotel without incident.

We are pretty tired but have decided to power through the evening without a nap so we can be a little closer to local time tomorrow.  We unpack,check out the hotel then head for the metro station located just down the street.  We navigated the train quite handily and arrived at the Marienplatz 20 minutes later. We wandered aimlessly for awhile in search of the famous Hofbrau Haus.  Thankfully we found it and we were more than ready for our 1st authentic bier and brats. And we did just that. And it was GOOD!  Ok we finish up, walk off some of the wieners and head back to the hotel.  We'll we didn't navigate quite as well on the return trip and ended up at the wrong station. Oops. Fortunately it wasn't too far away and the additional exercise was good for us.  By now we are toast. It's all of 8:00 and we have a big day ahead of us tomorrow.  Terry is already snoring.

1 comment: